Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Plating C12L14 and making it red

2002

I have an new product that I am manufacturing and I need to on of the parts in red. The problem that I am having is that it is made from C12L14 and all that I can find to color it is zinc. This as far as I know does not come in red. I can not change the material as that it is a counterweight. Any ideas?

Terry Lee Thomas
- Minden, Nevada, USA

2002

Metals are silvery or gold colored, not red. One way to get red would be to zinc plate, chromate, and dye the chromate film red. The color will be pastel or faded, not vivid though.

If there is no reason that you can't, you might consider an electrophoretic lacquer.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever