Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Silver refinishing

2002

I have a piece of old silver jewelry I would like to refinish, as there is some corrosion on it. I understand there is a method of "dipping" it in a silver liquid to make it shiny again. I would appreciate any information available.

Gloria F [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Alamo, Texas

2002

I am pretty sure some stores in your area carry silver polish.:)

Neil Bell
Red Sky Plating

Albuquerque, New Mexico
red sky banner ad

----
Ed. note: I think what Gloria may be alluding to is "immersion silvering" chemicals. These are not actually for solid silver items but for silver plated items where the silver has worn through. The chemicals deposit a very thin layer of silver. They have been used on decorative silverplate bowls, but I don't know if the thickness is enough to be of much value on a wear item like jewelry. If this is what she is looking for, our FAQ "Silver Plating at Home" covers that subject.