COPPER WASTE

2002

I'm a junior at Mechanicsburg High School. I'd appreciate your help concerning my High School Science Fair project. My project involves the metal copper, but more specifically, the best way(s) to dispose of copper waste. Do you have information or experience with copper waste disposal, cuprous ashes and/or copper residue removal? If you don't, would you put me in touch with someone who does. Any assistance you can provide will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ANDREW [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- MECHANICSBURG, PA USA

2002

In the electroplating industry, copper is electrodeposited onto parts for various reasons like circuit board traces, decorative reasons, as a heat treat stopoff, and as a soft metal for gasket materials. The most common way to recover the waste products is to use electroplating to plate it out. However, very low levels of copper cannot be plated out, so it is precipitated as an insoluble copper salt and landfilled.

Obviously this is not an exhaustive treatment of the subject, just a brief introduction. Good luck.