The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Refinishing Metal Golf Clubs

2002

I have Beta Titanium golf clubs with painted finish. I would like to have the clubs deep blued or otherwise permanently colored for durability. I have been unable to locate information or sources for handling this relatively small task.

Kirk M. McGowan
- Fort Worth, Texas

++++

I'm not a golfer, but if the heads are actually made of titanium, "blueing" probably isn't possible, as that's a process for steel and stainless steel. Titanium can be decoratively anodized, as is done in jewelry, and it can result in attractive blue and gold diffraction patterns, but it is a very thin layer (hence the diffraction) that may not hold up long to abrasion, wet grass, etc.

A high quality painted finish is probably the best bet for titanium.