Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Sandblasting Tortilla Machine Rolls

2002

What type of blast media do I have to use, to give an appropriate finish to the head rolls used on the corn tortilla machinery.

Jaime Alferez
- El Paso, Texas, U.S.A.

"Advances in Abrasive Technology"

info on Amazon

2002

I don't know, but I'd certainly like to hope the answer is going to be corncob.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

2005

Sand is far too abrasive and hard to control for cleaning most aluminum surfaces. You could probably use plastic beads for your requirements without damaging the surfaces. I have seen a wheat-flour granule (used with a pressure pot blaster) to remove extremely thin/fine layers of paint, primer, and coatings from delicate aluminum parts. You could actually see the thicknesses of different layers as they were removed. The results are similar to the effect of 'feather-edge' prep work done in paint and body shops. I don't know where to get the stuff, but think it came from Canada. Hope this helps.

George Goldsmith
- Wichita, Kansas