How to obtain the grain structure of Al6061-T651?

2002

Q. Hello!

I am a graduate student at Univ. of Kentucky. I am working on developing a new processing technique (especially for grain refinement) for Al6061-T651. I am not a material science student hence do not have very strong fundamental knowledge of metallograpy. I am trying to etch the sample using Kellers and other standard reagents to get the grain-structure. Only thing I am able to see is the particle structure. I have also tried to anodise the sample and then look under optical microscope and failed. As this is an important aspect of my thesis I am very much in need of a good suggestion.

I would highly appreciate any suggestions in this regard. Awaiting an early and favorable replies.

ITHARAJU, RAJESWARI
UNIV. OF KENTUCKY - LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY, USA

A. I use Barker's 3% - 30V - time can vary ~ 180sec.

It works well under polarized light.

It's an electrolytic etchant so you need the apparatus to etch.

Best luck

ANASTASIOS GAVRAS
WPI - WORCESTER, Massachusetts