17-7 PH Stainless Steel with Deionized Water

2002

Q. I'm looking for chemical compatibility of 17-7 PH Stainless Steel with Deionized Water. I do not know the actual purity of the water. Just assume worst case scenario, and then fill me in on the lighter side!
John

John Warren
- Santa Maria, California, USA

2002

A. If you put a piece of the stainless in a pyrex beaker of deI water it will last forever. If you put deI water into a stainless tank that has been welded, bent, or work hardened in the bends, then you will set up a galvanic cell which will corrode at some rate in some time as a function of the voltage created by the work hardening. This minor galvanic corrosion is usually low enough to ignore.

probertbanner