Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Motorcycle frame polishing help

2002

I've started polishing my aluminum ZX9 frame and have a mirror finish, but I can't seem to get rid of the small scratches and swirl marks. I've tried a buffing wheel with different compounds and foam bonnet with rubbing compound and neither will get rid of them. Hopefully I'm being stupid and it's something kinda simple. Any help that could be given would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Joshua Hanson
- Channahon, Illinois USA

2003

Hey, you're not going to get them all out. Try wet sanding with some 2000 grit paper. That is how I do my frames. It takes a real long time but looks good. Don't forget to sand all in one direction, changing makes more scratches.

John Connelly
- Virginia Beach, Virginia

2004

Go 1200, 2000 then 3000 all wet and you can get these in a d/a pad now also then a 3 stage buff tru-grit {white, blue and pink} these will take anything out you have the 3000 wet is the most important though.

Dan Jean
- Rantoul, Illinois, USA