What would cause sparks

2002

What will cause the parts to spark when I paint them? I put them on hooks on a conveyor line. And should I wear a mask when I paint too?

Dan Shepherd
- Wright City MO

2002

I don't know about the sparks. We'd probably need to know what kind of coating you are spraying (powder, solvent, water base) and what condition initiates the sparking.

Most plants probably have work rules that forbid any one from wearing a mask to disguise their identity while on the job, so I'd advise against it. But the respirator that was selected for the job, and properly fitted to you personally, in accordance with your plant's OSHA compliance program, should of course be worn--as you must have learned during your training.