Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Best way to clean metal antiques

2002

I have a number of antiques that are either brass, pewter or copper. What is the best way to clean those items, and how do I determine if they have been lacquered (as many polishes are not for use on lacquered items). Also, how do I remove lacquer to get to the original finish?

Connie Hamblin
- Holland, Michigan

2003

I would really appreciate a response to this letter as I am also wanting to find out how to clean my pewter gifts.

Tina Faherty
- Durban, KZN, South Africa