How to remove rust but not paint?

2002

I want to remove the rust from a part made of mild steel which is only partially rusted. I do not want to remove the paint from that part of the surface which is not rusted. I will not mind if it gets removed partially. How should I do it? Can I try applying 10% nitric acid solution by brush on the rusted surface? Or shall I try applying phosphoric acid? Currently the only way I know is to remove mechanically, i.e., by scrubbing by emery paper/ sander. Parag P Khedkar

Parag P Khedkar
- Nashik, Maharashtra, India

2002

The phosphoric acid sounds like a much better idea than the nitric acid.