Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Painting a Black Iron Bed

2002

I would like to paint a black iron bed a lighter color. Do you have any suggestions?

Kelly McCord
- Jacksonville Alabama

2002

Hi, Kelly. How about white?

Seriously, this doesn't necessarily sound tricky; every paint job isn't a hard one. If the previous paint is not peeling and chipping, and it's not really glossy, just wash it down and use a can of paint made for painting metal, available from the hardware store.

If it is currently a glossy enamel, you may want to lightly sand it to give the surface some "tooth". Good luck.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

2007

I am recently remodeling my room, in the style of antique/Victorian and I have an iron head board that has a plain white finish. Is there a way I can give the board a more antique look? Is there maybe crackle paint for metal or some chemical I can apply?

The headboard is ALREADY white. I want to make it look old. Is there a crackle paint made for metal or a chemical I can use?

Alyson Burton
hobbyist - Van Nuys, California

Rust-Oleum Antique Pewter

2007

Hi, Alyson. Rustoleum and Krylon (and probably their competitors) now have all kinds of fancy paint designed to look classic -- American Accents is one of the those lines =>

I think you'll be much better off using such a paint than trying to figure out what chemical will react with your unknown type of white paint to produce an attractive look. Best of luck.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

I HAVE AN OLD WHITE HEADBOARD THAT I WANT TO PAINT BLACK, IS THERE ANY PREP BESIDES CLEANING, OR CAN I JUST SPRAY PAINT IT.

17272

MELBA BLANCK
HOBBYIST - SEASIDE, CALIFORNIA

Gloss Off Prepaint

Hi, Melba. The enamel on this headboard appears to be extremely smooth and glossy, which means it will be difficult for subsequent paint layers to get much "tooth" for good adhesion. I would suggest starting by lightly sanding everything. If that seems too laborious due to the intricacy of the headboard, you can try a "liquid sandpaper" or "gloss-off" product =>

We need "Aloha" now more than ever

I have a similar enamel head/foot board as the one in the photo from Melba. I want to paint it a dark color as well as the brass. What do you suggest for the brass?

Mary Kay Eppinger
- Phoenix, Arizona

Self-etching primer

Hi, Mary Kay.

Brass is notorious for poor adhesion. You must start with a self-etching primer, then you can do a top coat of whatever you like. Good luck.

We need "Aloha" now more than ever