Brass ring health risks

2002

I have a brass ring that was made out of a brass pipe. I am not sure as to how much brass is in the pipe. I am concerned about medical implications if any. thank you all and email me if you have any knowledge of medical mishaps with brass being on finger too long

christopher goulet
- bradford,pa USA

2002

Brass is not an element, Mr. Goulet. Rather, it is an alloy of copper and zinc (usually, although there may be other metals in it including lead and tin). It is always questionable to say that something will not hurt you when we don't know the full particulars, including whether there is any lead in it. Still, as long as the ring is not causing a skin irritation, and as long as you don't acquire the habit of licking your ring when you are nervous, my guess is there is nothing to worry about.