The world's most popular metal finishing site, and the internet's friendliest corner

Aluminum cleaning and brightener

2002

I have a 1972 silver eagle bus and want to get the skins shiny. I bought some 3m aluminum cleaner and worked for 4 hours with a buffer and as soon as I washed the bus the "film" came back. Do you know a chemical that I could use to shine the aluminum and it stay shiny? Thanks for all your help

Mark Templeton
- High Point, North Carolina

2002

Hit the web sites of the major metal finishing manufacturers. Turco use to make a military cleaner called Starbright. Turco has been bought out several years ago. Someone must have a similar product. This material is quite alkaline, so use with great caution. Apply it like you would wash a car, just do not get it on your body.