Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Aspencade gas tank rust

2002

I have an 83 Goldwing with a rusty tank. I tried cleaning it with carb cleaner etc. To take the tank off, it is a 10 hr job at $45.@ hr. plus Honda no longer makes the tank. Is there a way to clean it while on the motorcycle. I've changed to gas filters in the last 200 miles.

Alan Rose
- Gansevoort, New York

2004

I just took the tank out of my '77 Goldwing yesterday... only took 45 minutes and the labor was free. For the rust I'll try using some CLR [linked by editor to product info at Amazon]. Slosh it around the tank with some aquarium gravel to break up the rust, rinse it out with water then dry it real good with a hair dryer.

Marco Wikstrom
Student - Ashland, OR, US