Testing of Crazing (macro cracks) in Hard Chrome Plating

2002

In relation to letter 15756, I am looking at doing some destructive / non-destructive tests on a component that has the crazing effect on it.

I am looking at salt spray testing if anybody has any information / standards to see how this crazing deteriorates.

I would also like to create samples through the crazing to the substrate to view through a microscope to see if the substrate has been affected.

I appreciate any help.

Best regards

Mandy Bailey
- Manchester, England

2004

I am still looking at carrying out a primitive salt spray test on a hard chrome plated component to see if we can generate the 'crazing' effect that our USA / Canadian customers see once they have received the component.

What ratio of salt to water would I need to use and how often would I need to apply the solution ?

Mandy Bailey
- Manchester, United Kingdom

2004

Mandy,

It was interesting to see the pitchers of crazing in chrome. If you are still having a problem? I hard chrome plate (and grind) 17-4 in the heat treated stage, I'm only just down the road from you, give me a ring.

Steve Kelson
Dynasurf - Hard Chrome Platers - Sandbach, Cheshire, UK