Pewter Blackning and polishing (So. Africa)

2002

Im trying to achieve an antique type finish in my pewter, with a predominantly high(silver) shine and some black showing through the small detail. At the moment I am blackening the pewter in Nitric acid and then hand buffing it with a scotch brite, and finally polishing it in a vibrator. This method does not give me the high quality finish that I am looking for and makes the pewter look very "black" with a little bit of shine.

And buy the way it's definitely not my vibrating method, because I am able to achieve a high shine on unblackened pewter.

PLease could you help in this regard

Tina Faherty
- Durban, Kwazulu-natal, South Africa