Live! From Pine Beach NJ: The world's most popular metal finishing website, and the internet's friendliest corner

Pewter Blackning and polishing (So. Africa)

2002

Im trying to achieve an antique type finish in my pewter, with a predominantly high(silver) shine and some black showing through the small detail. At the moment I am blackening the pewter in Nitric acid and then hand buffing it with a scotch brite, and finally polishing it in a vibrator. This method does not give me the high quality finish that I am looking for and makes the pewter look very "black" with a little bit of shine.

And buy the way it's definitely not my vibrating method, because I am able to achieve a high shine on unblackened pewter.

PLease could you help in this regard

Tina Faherty
- Durban, Kwazulu-natal, South Africa