Market data: Size of metal finishing market

1998

Q. I'm looking for some info on the size (dollar wise) on the US Metal Finishing Market, not including plating or coatings. Need ASAP. Any Guessing will be accepted, as long as it is accompanied by an explanation of how the guess is derived.

Thanks for your help, if any...

Craig Burkart Craig Burkart signature
Craig Burkart
- Naperville, Illinois

--

A. A good report was put together by the Surface Finishing Market Research Board, a joint effort of AESF, NAMF, and MFSA^those 3 organizations have morphed into www.nasf.org. Unfortunately, it may include some of what you want excluded and exclude some of what you want included. Still it may be worthwhile to have a copy. It is available from those organizations.

1998

A. If I remember correctly, some useful web sites (which include economic figures) include:

Thomas Moffitt
State of MA Office of Technical Assistance, Boston, Massachusetts

1998

Q. Mr. Moffitt, when I surfed for details at the Gov Census site, I only found information on broad categories like fabricated metal products. Is it possible to get information based on SIC codes like 3471 and 3479?

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

1998

A. Unfortunately, as far as I know economic information broken down by specific four digit SIC code is not available for the entire country (at best you might find economic info broken down by general SIC ranges, and even then you would only find it on a state by state basis). The web sites I listed give the economic info for certain categories, such as metal fabrication, plating, etc, but I don't think anybody has tried to put together the number for each SIC code for the entire industry. You might try the US Dept of Commerce or Revenue: www.commerce.gov or the EPA has a Profile of the Metal Products Industry.

Thomas Moffitt