World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Chrome Plating Harley Saddlebags

2002

I am trying to finish the Chrome customization of my 1992 Harley-Davidson Motorcycle. I would like to finish it off with a great looking set of hard saddlebags, but to match the theme of the bike they will have to be chrome. I need to find out what materials can be chromed and what shops are available to do such work. I have heard that ABS plastic can be chromed. What kind of prep does ABS require and will it be a durable finish?

Sincerely,

Jeffrey T [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Omaha, Nebraska, USA

2002

Begin my broken record: "Most automotive grill work, headlamp bezels, and tail light surrounds are chrome plated ABS". So the durability is not at all in question.

However, the preplate sequence is very complicated, using about a dozen sequential immersions in proprietary chemicals. In short, you have to go to a shop that chrome plates plastic, as other plating shops will not be able to do it. Good luck.