World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

ATM standard of 4340 steel

2002

Dear sir,

I am currently doing a project on "The effect of hydrogen charging on tensile properties of high strength steel, grade 4340".......so I want to know what is the specific ASTM standard which gives information regarding hydrogen embrittlement of 4340steel.

Janardhan Rao Saithala
- Sheffield, UK

2002

Hello Janardhan!

I have to assume that you are familiar with the work of A.R. Troiano, who wrote a lot about this topic in the 1950's, and published in Transactions of the AIME. Given that, you'll want to examine ASTM volume 15.03, which has a number of specifications for testing for hydrogen embrittlement. ASTM F519 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet] , for example, assumes that air melt 4340 is the worst case material and uses material per Mil-S-5000 for its test samples.

lee gearhart
Lee Gearhart
metallurgist - E. Aurora, New York