World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Fixing my Chrome

2002

I just bought a 1998 900RR and some of the chrome has a dull look to it and will not shine how it should. I was wondering how I could bring out the shine with out getting it re-dipped. I have used mother's chrome polish, Nevr-Dull [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], and xtreme metal polish but nothing has seem to work. Please tell me what is wrong with it and how to fix it.

Matt Dean
- Alpharettta, Georgia, USA

2002

It may not be possible. The finish that people call "chrome plating" is actually a heavy layer(s) of nickel plating followed by a very thin layer of chromium plating. It sounds like, in some spots, the chrome is not there anymore--perhaps removed by accidental splashing with acid.

It is also possible that you are looking at stainless steel or aluminum, which is fairly bright, but which will never shine like chrome. We have an "Introduction to Chrome Plating" which you might find interesting.