World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

How Can I Remove Tarnish/Corrosion From An 1800's Fireplace Insert?

2002

I have just purchased a fireplace insert made by Peerless in the late 1800's. It is corroded, but underneath the corrosion appears to be a copper tone. I do not want to ruin it and would appreciate any suggestions on how to best restore it myself - not professionally. Is there a chemical, abrasive, or some agent that will remove the surface blemish so the original beauty can be seen?

Beverly Ann Alloway
- Findlay, Ohio

Hi, Beverly. You should be and apparently are trying to find any info you can on this unit before setting to work on it. I would be surprised if a fireplace insert was made of copper or bronze; I'm not personally aware of them being made of anything but steel or iron. So, is there a chance that "copper tone" is just rust?

If it is rust, then Rust Converter [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] should be applied before repainting. Good luck.

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]