World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Refinishing wrought iron table to a bronze color

2002

I have a intricate white wrought iron table base with a glass top. I want to use it in the dining area. I'd like to refinish it in a bronze color. It has always been indoors so it is not rusted. It was spray painted white a few years ago. What steps do I follow and is there a specific type of bronzer to use. I'm looking to take this from a kitchen look to a dining room look. I plan on getting straight back chairs with loose material coverings that tie on the sides. Then again I could always just redo it white.

Laura Belcastro
- Brooklyn, New York

Hi, Laura. Electroplating this table with bronze would be a really big job and you probably could not do it yourself; you would have to send it to a plating shop.

I would suggest that you look at the fancy paints available from Rustoleum and Krylon and find one of the right color. Nice textures and patterns are available and you can get either a shiny metallic look sort of like a door knob (not really that good, though, because that is electroplating) or more of a matte look.

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]