World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Clad Plating of Cookware

2002

I am doing some researching for a graduate course on Clad Plating as it applies to Cookware. Would anyone have any recommendations as to websites that might provide industry data?

Dan Maguire
- Boston, Massachusetts

Hi, Dan. I have seen two different types of cookware, both called clad. The copper-bottom cookware (Revere Ware) is copper that is electroplated onto the stainless steel pot, not mechanically clad. A resist is applied above the demarcation line, then the pot is partially immersed into a copper plating tank.

The cookware which has an aluminum core and stainless steel on both sides is mechanically clad with a thin strip of stainless steel on the aluminum. I don't actually know the details of how that cladding is done, but it is done mechanically because it is not possible to electroplate stainless steel. I suspect, however, that the cladding is done while the metal is still fairly thick, and then it's rolled down to the required gauge for making the cookware, since that is the technology that I have seen used for plated wire and for clad stainless steel sheets. Good luck.

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]