World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Science project on toothpaste

2002

I am doing a science project on toothpaste "is it real, does it do what is says it will or are they pulling your leg?" I read some of the responses on the other kids question but I was wondering if there were any more people who knew more? I am sorta confused and I think that I need to have a lot of help thank you and I hope you can help! Rebecka H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- ORLANDO, Florida

2002

Hi Rebecka. It does what they specifically claims that it does; but it does not do what it implies that it does.

You will see that their claims for fewer cavities and whiter teeth are supported by actual unbiased "double blind" tests. "Double blind" means that neither the person using the toothpaste nor the researcher administering the test knows who got which toothpaste. Then they tabulate the results and if the improved results are can't be challanged, they claim them.

But the things they try to imply with those ads, like that all the boys within 500 yards will swoon if a girl brushes her teeth with Superbright, that's the "pulling your leg" part.