World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Welding after Zinc plating

2002

I have a large part that is Zinc plated and painted and now I need to weld a (1/16 weld x 12" Base) Gusset to it. How do I remove the zinc plating for welding and how do I zinc touch up the area. I do not want to strip the entire fixture and re-zinc.

Reyes Cortes
- Bohemia, New York

2002

Hello Reyes,

This application is tailor made for brush electroplating. Brush electroplating is a portable, hand held electroplating process that allows an operator to selectively plate metals such as zinc on a specific area.

Brush plating processes are routinely used for repairs such as this because the metal can be deposited over the repair area without the need to strip off the existing electroplated deposit. Chris Helwig
- Valencia, California, USA

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]