World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Bleach stained chrome/chrome-plated aluminum

2002

While cleaning my stainless steel stove top, some "bleach cleanser" accidentally spilled on the "lip" of the range, which is probably made of chrome, or chrome-plated aluminum, and is now stained. Is there any kind of solution or finish I can use to restore its original finish?

Donna Chazanoff
- Brooklyn, New York

2002

Hi, Donna. I would not expect a spill of a cleanser with bleach to stain chrome. But bleach is very alkaline and attacks aluminum readily. So I'd suspect your stove is polished aluminum rather than chrome. If the surface has actually been dissolved rather than merely stained, there unfortunately is no chemical treatment that can remove the "stain".

Sorry, but I think it's time to call the parts department for some new parts. Good luck.

Well, it could be that it is in fact chrome plated, and that the bleach you used actually stripped the chrome off the part

Diego Garcia
- Mexico City DF, Mexico

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]