World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

911 Memorial Park

2002

Our office is designing a Memorial Park for the victims of September 11. We currently have 4 beams from the World Trade Center to incorporate into the park. We are looking to Bronze plate these beams, and need to know of a plating company that has the capability of plating 30 foot long steel beams. We also need budget pricing for this work.

Peter Church
architects - Schenectady, New York

2002

Hi Peter,

Interesting post. I'm sure someone will do it for free if they get to apply their signature to their work in an out of the way location. Good plating is an Art, you know. 30 feet is a bit long for bronze work, but many Chrome & Zinc platers can do that. Almost sounds like a custom one time job. Polishing it prior would be a big part of the work.

Dave Kinghorn
Dave Kinghorn
Chemical Engineer
SUNNYvale, California

2002

Doesn't "almost" sound like a custom job to me, Dave--it sounds "absolutely" so. I don't think anyone has the installed capacity to do this. The closest would probably be an architectural anodizer if he has the lift capacity to handle these heavy beams. And I also think this will need a cyanide-based plating solution, which is still another problem.

I think it's a possible job for brush plating, and if that doesn't work, a custom built plating facility.

2002

I would contact someone in the arc spray field. The size would present no problem for them and I am sure they have a bronze alloy in their bag of tricks.

Dan Weaver
- Toccoa, Georgia

2002

I think that the arc spray would be a little rough. High energy plasma would be my first guess.

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]