World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Polishing Motorcycle Case

2002

I have been trying to polish the side case of my motorcycle engine for a few days now and cannot get the "mirror" look. I have used a fine wire brush to remove the paint and now have to remove the scratches. I have worked my way from 220 to 800 grade sandpaper and a "scotch bright" pad but am still not getting out the scratches. What am I doing wrong. Should I be using Nevr-Dull [affil. link to info/product on Amazon], or Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] or something while I am sanding or rubbing with scotchbrite?

Please Help if possible.

Jeff Howland
- Hays, Kansas, US

2002

Jeff, if you only have scratches from the scotchbrite, it is time to go to an automotive rubbing compound, and then a polishing compound. If you can, use these with a buffing wheel on a hand drill, it is much faster. If you still have the deeper scratches from sanding, you need to sand again. I use 200, 400, 600, and finish with 1000. Wet or dry paper, sanding wet. Each finer grit should be at right angles to the last grit to make sure all the deeper scratches are gone. The scotchbrite won't give a mirror finish but will leave it dull. Finish with a good car polish.

Good luck,

Ed Kay
- St. Louis, Missouri, USA