World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Anodization of Aluminum

2002

Kindly provide me the following literature if it is available:

The factors that lead to an efficient anodization of Aluminum starting from sandpaper blasting through sealing. Also is there a mathematical relationship between hardness and scratch resistance? If so what measurement systems are in use for this?

Shree Nanguneri
- Santa Clara, California, USA

2002

Such a broad question is best answered by referring you to a book: The Surface Treatment and Finishing of Aluminum and Its Alloys by S. Wernick, R. Pinner, P.G. Sheasby

2002

Shree,

The factors you ask for are too many to mention in this forum. Everything is important for a quality anodic coating, from the Al. alloy, to the sealing process. Each step is important, and paying close attention to the little details are important for a consistent, quality coating. This site has a few books dealing on the subject, I suggest reading them. The coon test for anodized al is the Taber abrasion test, basically a wheel that rotates on the coating, and hardness is measured by revolutions before coating failure. I have preformed Rockwell/Vickers test on coatings, and find them, at times.. difficult to interpret, so I'm not sure of any correlation.

anodizer - Boise, Idaho