World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Paint Stripping Problem

2002

I have a customer that manufactures an item that is painted. The item is held up by stainless steel spindles that are thin and come to a point. After painting the spindles that support the items are then run through an in-line, heated spray washer where the residual paint on the spindles is stripped. The customer's paint supplier has made some changes in paint chemistry and my stripping solution has become less effective. The current solution is aqueous based, alkaline and contains a fair amount of m-pyrol. I have tried to replace the m-pyrol with Glycol Ether EPH with very good results. The problem with the EPH is that it has a strong objectionable odor that practically cleared the plant out during testing in their spray washer. Does anyone have any other options as to a good aqueous solvent that could be used in my stripper?

Tom Hager
- Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

2002

Tom, I have dealt with similar problems to yours previously, of course assuming that I have understood you correctly. N-pyrol or NMP is a good component to use and will remove a lot of varied coatings, glycol ethers are often used in conjunction together with Gamma butrol-actone. We have also had great success using benzyl alcohol/water through spray cleaning plant to remove overspray. Obviously this works better at increased temp of around 50 deg. C. Advantages are is its much cheaper than Pyrol, less hazardous and I think greener ! Let me know if you would like more help.

John Sutton
- NW, UK

2002

Thanks for your help John I'll give it a try.

Tom Hager
Lily Products of Michigan, Inc. - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA