World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Anodised or powdercoat - what should I choose

2002

I am in need of some advise. Are you able to tell the merits of Powder coating over clear anodized aluminum or visa versa. I am trying to decide on a design solution for external lighting and architectural features for an architectural project.

I hope you can help

Robert
- Australia

2002

It can be difficult to decide between anodizing and powder coating. Powder offers some brilliant colors that are not achievable with light-fast anodizing dyes; and it offers superior acid and alkali chemical resistance. Anodizing offers abrasion resistance and a look of "depth" because the coloring is below the surface.

But in this particular case, where you are trying to achieve the natural color of aluminum, I would certainly expect real aluminum (i.e., anodizing) to be the way to go.