World's #1 on-line resource since 1989

-----

Removal of lacquer finish on brass lighting fixture

2002

I am trying to match existing outdoor lighting that is finished with a green verde finish. Unfortunately I can not find a similar lantern on the market. I can find a polished brass lantern in the same style and have been advised I could use a chemical process to achieve the verde finish. However, the product says to remove any lacquer from the brass first. How do I do this? Is this process just too messy to attempt? Thanks for your help.

Elise Lundeen
- Glendale, Arizona

2002

Any of the commercially available paint strippers should strip the lacquer. Try to get one that recommends rinsing with water after it removes the paint. It makes clean up easier.

Because you're trying to get a green verde look, which is really a corroded brass/copper appearance, you won't have to worry about the stripper attacking the bright brass finish. You'll end up covering it up with the green verde finish.

Now if you were trying to remove the clear lacquer and re-coat it with another clear material, that would be another story!

I hope the green verde process you gives you the effect you are looking for. Some of these are paint or powder coating effects and are difficult to match for the home user. I would try the process on a scrap piece of brass before I bought a new lamp and ruined it in the process.

Tom Binney
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin

2007

I saw the letter related to removing the clear coating off of a brass (antique in my case) exterior light fixture. Once removed, what product should I apply to achieve a verde color? Thank you, James

James Robertson
- Austin, Texas USA

Jax Green Patina

2007

There are bottles of patina solution available, James [click the picture], but take note of the previous writer's advice and cautions.

There are also books with formulas for various colors, like "Colouring, Bronzing & Patination of Metals" [affil. link to book on Amazon].

help wanted ad
Plating Shop Manager [Salisbury, MD]
Junior Quality Engineer [Santa Clara, CA]
Plating Process Engineer [Wenatchee, WA]