Remove brass finish and accelerate tarnishing

1998

I have Schlage Orbit doorknobs in my house; the A-series with finish 613; it is a flat, brass, chocholate brown color. A sample of the knob is at this site:
http://www.facilitiesnet.com/guest/PS/schlage/EX2sapix.html

I purchased the same knob in a bright brass finish; the set is solid brass. I want to strip the finish and accelerate the tarnishing process to approximate what I have in the rest of the house. The lockset came with a 10 yr no tarnish guarantee. I have tried to strip the finish with Acetone [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] and Brasso [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]. I think it is somewhat stripped off and now I want to tarnish it.

Can this be done?

robert wah

Ed. note: please see letter #1323, which is very similar to the above and has several good responses.

1998

I was wondering what chemical will tarnish brass?

Eric Schaffer

1999

I am looking for a product which I can use to tarnish a ten year old brass bed. I believe that is has been lacquered, but the bed was not very expensive to begin with, so the lacquer was probably cheaply applied. PLEASE RESPOND. sandra

Sandra Downard

1999

Eric, Sandra,

Please see our FAQs about patinas. Regards,