How to clean anodised aluminium

I wish to clean my anodised aluminium encased entry phone system shell. Please advise what I should use to get rid of dirt and grime.

Many thanks.

Mrs Barbara Baruah
- London, England, UK

Hi Barbara. You probably already found a number of things that didn't work, huh? I can give you a couple more that won't work: two brands of special aluminum cleaner available at hardware stores. The surface of aluminum which has been anodized but not fully sealed looks very much like the surface of a sponge but at a smaller scale. Unlike the sponge, I haven't been to figure out how to wring the aluminum, and consequently it's almost uncleanable. Is there any chance this item could be redone by an anodizing shop? Ted Mooney, finishing.com Teds signature