Shear Test spec. for thermal break

1998

Dear Reader:

My company paints aluminium extrusions for use in manufacturing doors and windows. Part of the process is the insertion of a "thermal barrier". We offer 2 processes, a polyurethane "pour and cut" and a polyamide strip process. We test the shear strength of the insulated product, and record the values in Newtons.

My query is regarding specifications for this shear test. Are there any specifications that anyone is aware of? That is, ISO, ASTM, Bs, etc.

Ian Peart
- Granges Building Systems Ltd

1998

Please check letter # 342 on this page. A web site is suggested. Also, try www.astm.org.

Mandar Sunthankar
- Fort Collins, Colorado

1998

There should be a procedure in ASTM. Also look into military specifications.

Good Luck

Patrick Langan

1998

I'm looking for all information on failures of poured and debridging thermal breaks

Ronald Sebring
- Ronald A. Sebring Associates, Manasquan, NJ

1999

Mr D. Parfitt of Polytech Int would be able to answer all questions relating to your Thermal Break Shear Test.

Mit Pohsib

1999

Then please encourage him to visit this site and do so, Mr. Poshibsmiley

2001

Dear Sir or Ma'am:

I am a student for Lakeview Technical Academy, and I was hoping that if you have any spare time in your busy day, that if you could somehow possibly send me some information on shear testing and how you use it. It would really be appreciated, and a great deal of help for a project that I'm doing in one of my manufacturing classes.

Thank You Very much for your time.

Sincerely yours,

Adam Biddle
Lakeview Technical Academy - Kenosha, WI

2004

Please refer to prEN14024:2000, Metal profiles with thermal barrier - Mechanical performance - requirements, proof and tests for assessment.

Jimmy Yang
- Bath, U.K.

Dear Mr. Peart,

I am curious to know if you were able to acquire the information you were looking for regarding Shear test on thermal break material. I have been assigned an action to perform incoming inspection test on Thermal break assemblies e.g. a stile and rail for a double hung window. These parts are, simply put, two extruded aluminum pieces connected by two thermal break materials (a plastic), one of which is crimped in estimated to hold at 400 lbs. and the other bearier a snug fit but loose enough to be moved by hand. Any information would be helpful.

Tom West
- Orlando, Fl, USA