Brightening agent for iron

1998

I worked at Bell Laboratories for 27 years, most of them in a thin film hybrid packaging design organization, and cannot remember what solutions we used to brighten iron, steel and aluminum. I haven't been able to find the plater's references we used for this and hope you can refresh my memory.

Oxalic acid does a good job of removing the rust on iron, but leaves the surface dull. Likewise, sodium bisulfite doesn't brighten as well as the simple reagents we used at Bell Labs.

Thanks for any help.

M. E. Lindenmeyer

1999

I am searching for a solution that will clean and brighten galvanized metal that has been exposed to water damage and stained with residue from overhanging trees. Thank you.

John L. Nelson
- Pasadena,Texas

2004

How many oz. of Oxalic acid per gal. of water is required to remove rust from old tools and the immersion time recommended?

Clyde Cannon
- Houston, Texas