-----

"Cast Iron Finish Treatment Required"

I have a new cast iron bird bath which is currently black. I'm told if I leave it outdoors in the elements, it will rust naturally. I'd like to accelerate the process and give the finish an "antique" quality. Any suggestions for treatments which will work?

Glen Olmstead
- Albeta, Canada
^

Have it sand blasted to give whatever ratio of white metal to black metal. The white will rust rapidly if you spritz it with a mixture of one tablespoon of salt, one tablespoon of cheap vinegar in one quart of warm water. A very light spray of water for a couple of days should yield rust. James Watts
^