-----

"How do I clean tarnished brass?"

I am trying to polish several brass knobs with 80+ years of tarnish. What is the easiest/ quickest way to clean and polish?

Lori Dockman-Clay
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
^

I used to do this type of work but no longer. I do not suggest you attempt this your self. The tarnish need to be removed with acid and then the metal buffed to a luster and then lacquered sealed.

Jon Quirt
- Fridley, Minnesota
^

Sodium cyanide solution (5-7%) will be an effective anti-tarnishing solution. After immersing in this solution for 5 minutes there may be a need of buffing it with green and red jeweler's rouge [affil. link to info/product on Amazon] compounds.

Venkat Raja
- Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
^

This may surprise you. Mix Salt and vinegar into a paste. Allow your brass to soak in the solution for 1 hour. It's a miracle. Forget the acid treatment and plating. This works. Guaranteed.

E. Jones
- Springfield, Ohio
^