-----

"How do I finish my metal brushing exercises"

What should I do after I brushed the metal? - I am looking to create attractive finishes on aluminum sheets, so I have experimented with different attachments on a drill and I got an inexpensive grinding tool (rotating) and a disk for it. This tool creates a nice, shimmering result in that it "bites" in very aggressively. The surface is coarse to the touch.

With the drill I have used a fairly large sanding/sawing disk (inexpensive) and a smallish, metal brush. The metal brush creates a nice, soft circular pattern. - My question is - what should I do to the surface after I have created these different and attractive looking surfaces...? Should I "buff" them and if so, what does that mean, exactly.... Very grateful for any information on this topic.

Gunnar Kullenberg
- Los Angeles, California
^

Polishing is the same general idea as grinding but with a smaller, less aggressive media. Buffing is the same general idea as polishing but with a smaller, less aggressive media. In other words you are accomplishing smoothing by using a smaller and smaller scratching motion.

Aluminum will quickly oxidize and dull. Assuming that you are not in a posion to anodize these items, you'll need to lacquer them to keep them shiny.

^