-----

"Tie-coat: paint to polypropylene"

Greetings-

There was some earlier discussion re- some method of creating a bond between polypropylene and paint. has this problem been solved ? Our need is some sort of tie-coat so that marine anti-fouling bottom paint will stick on polypro dinghys. Any help/advice will be much appreciated.

Robert deOvies
Cruising Sailboats - Sarasota, Florida
^

Hi Robert,

Pardon my absymal ignorance, but what in th' heck do you want to even consider ANY type of paint for the bottom of your PP dingies?

To the best of my knowledge there is no 'paint' that can bond to Polyoelfins like Pe and PP. Sure, you can paint it, but will it stick? NO !

I would also tend to think that marine growth would not find PP to be at all receptive to adherence.

If the PP were abraded at all, maybe some, but little, marine growth could occur. The answer then is to 'flame' the surface to make it smooth again.

Waste not your $ ....

Freeman Newton [dec]
(It is our sad duty to advise that Freeman passed away

^