-----

"Calcium carbonate as an extender in paint production"

I am doing a study on the use of calcium carbonate as an extender in paint production. However I am using calcium hydroxide which is a waste from an acetylene plant to make the calcium carbonate. I would like to know what is the average price of extenders used in paint making to compare wether to produce for the company would be cheaper than to purchase it. I would not include the installation of the extraction equipment in this cost only the production cost.

Gary Campbell
- Kingston, Jamaica
^

Dear Mr. Gary Campbel,

In India paint companies procure the extenders at low cost. Say about 60 to 70 USD per ton. I am interested to know how you are converting Calcium Hydroxide waste from acetylene plants in to calcium Carbonate. Up to my knowledge it needs to be reacted with CO2. Generally, this type of activity is done in the lime kiln plant itself to manufacture precipitated calcium Carbonate. What is the process you are adopting for this? what are the other applications you are using this material.

I am trying to understand this purely for academic purposes.

N

Nagaraju Kothapalli
mineral calcination - Hyderabad, India
^