-----

"Information about anodizing"

Dear sir,

First of all I would like to express my thanks to you about this helpful site. I hope you will take my question in serious manner. I am a student in the university of Bahrain, and I am studying a course in corrosion and the methods of corrosion resistance. MY QUESTION is to give me a full description about ANODIZING and anodizing protection.

With regards,

Moh'd Alassaadi
- Kingdum of Bahrain
^

Anodizing of aluminum is an electrochemical process where the aluminum on the surface of an item is made anodic, and combines with oxygen to form an aluminum oxide finish. After a sealing process, the finish is a good insulator and quite corrosion resistant in neutral environments.

There are entire libraries about anodizing, so we can't really give you a full description of anodizing and anodizing protection in a paragraph or two in an on line forum. For a good start on the subject, see the anodizing chapter of the Metal Finishing Guidebook, and get some info about architectural anodizing at www.aac.org. From there you can go on, if needed, to Robert Probert's "Aluminum How-To", or all the way to the ultimate book on the subject "Surface Finishing and Treatment of Aluminum and its Alloys," by Wernick, Pinner & Sheasby. Best of luck!

^