-----

"Finishing Problem"

We are manufacturing an assembly in which there are many parts of sheet metal also Zinc Dia. casting. We are finishing the material with the rotating barrels and getting them Zinc plating. Our problem is that we are not getting shine in our parts also the plating get wear off very fast on rubbing the parts.

Is vibro finishing is must for these type of parts.

If any one supply second hand vibro finishing machine or centrifugal finishing machine.

Kamal Goel
- Chandigarh, INDIA
^

It sounds as if you might have a couple of different problems. One, if you are not in a hurry, the barrel system will work. Two, I recommend you use plastic preform media shapes for the non-ferrous diecast parts and ceramic for the steel.

You may need to do a two step deburring process. One with a rough media composition and another with a medium to fine composition. In either case, you should get down to a surface finish of at least 16 to 18 RMS before plating.

Three, my experience with zinc plating tells me that this will normally wear off. Not sure what your end use is, but I think you should consider another type of coating, unless you paint over surface.

tony kenton
AF Kenton
Hatboro,
Pennsylvania

^