-----

"Various Surface Finishes on Stainless Steel"

Hi all,

I am working on a project that uses a photoelectric sensor to sense the presence of a particular part in the system. The sensor beam lands on one of the surface of the part being sensed. This part is made of plastic and is prone to scratches. The sensor gives wield readings when it hits the scratches, so I decided to add a steel plate on the surface. The surrounding environment is highly corrosive (this steel plate is going to be very close to the sulphuric acid bath), so I decided to use electropolished stainless steel. But when electropolished, the surface becomes so reflective that the sensor blanks out. It is unable to detect the distance. Is there a coating that I can put on the plate such that it serves both the purposes, it is electropolished to sustain in the acid/corrosive environment and the surface is opaque so that the sensor works fine?

What are the different surface finishes on stainless steel that I can try out to make it work. I know that stainless steel does work in the acid environment.

Mayur Jagtap
- Portland, Oregon
^

You can color passivate stainless steel in grey mate, or other color. Color passivation creates thick film on the surface of the stainless steel.

anna_berkovich
Anna Berkovich
Russamer Lab

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
russamer labs banner
^

There are a number of finishes for stainless steel. Contact the Nickel Development Institute (NiDI)

don baudrand
Don Baudrand
Consultant - Poulsbo, Washington
(Don is co-author of "Plating on Plastics" [affil link to the book on: Amazon or AbeBooks ])
^

Have you tried PVD coated stainless steel parts? Titanium black plated stainless should lessen the reflectivity.

Michael Liu Taylor
Michael Liu Taylor
specialty stainless steel distributor - Dallas, Texas
^