-----

"Availability & analysis of Rocheltex plating solutions"

Current question and answers:

Q. We are using Electroplated copper from cyanide-based plating bath on our firm. I am looking for a Rocheltex analysis method but I could not find any method.

Product Name:
Macdermid Enthone
METEX Rocheltex

I will be appreciative if anybody can help.

Thanks a lot,

Barkin UGURER
- Ankara Turkey
^

A. Hello Barkin
From the name - most likely this component includes Rochelle salt. As this is a proprietary chemical mix, I would go to the supplier/manufacturer to get their recommendation for analysis.
Good luck

Leon Gusak
- Winnipeg, Canada
^

Q. We tried to reach our local supplier for analysis but they don't have too. I sent an e-mail to Macdermid but I didn't get any answer.

If I know the %KOH in bath, can I find %by vol. Rocheltex in bath?

Barkin UGURER [returning]
- Ankara Turkey
^

A. Hi Barkin. Spam e-mail is a curse, so they may not have got your mail. I get 700-800 a day to my current e-mail address, while hundreds more directed to my outdated e-mail addresses go direct to the trash unseen. And Macdermid probably gets more than that. I suggest you go to their site and use their question submittal form instead.

^

A. Hi Barkin
Rochelle salt is Sodium-Potassium Tartrate.
If your bath is based on Potassium salts only - by using some advanced method for Sodium determination (ICP-MS? ICP-OES?) - you can calculate the amount of Rochelle salt.
Or opposite, if your bath is based on Sodium salts only - by determining Potassium you can calculate the Rochelle salt.
However, as it is proprietary mix, you may not know all the additives. I would put an effort to get a help from the manufacturer of the chemical...

Leon Gusak
- Winnipeg, Canada
^

Previous closely related Q&A's starting in:

2002

Q. We are reviewing U.S. Army technical manuals and some require the use of Rocheltex in plating solutions. It apparently is a discontinued product but we are needing to determine its availability for certain and if there is a replacement.

George Hanna
Titan Corp. - Huntsville, Alabama
^

2002

A. I was unaware that Macdermid had discontinued the product. It is an anode corroder for cyanide copper plating used as a replacement for Rochelle Salts (a generic material. Manufacturers of cyanide copper plating additives make similar products that are generally interchangeable.

Gene Packman
process supplier - Great Neck, New York
^