-----

"Can I color rusted cast iron"

I purchased two cast iron French garden statues from a dealer. He promised to send info on how to turn the rust a green color and inhibit future rust but he has gone out of business with no forwarding address. Can anyone please help with any possible treatments for the statues? They are about 5' high.

Stuart Hanford
- Lebanon, Pennsylvania, USA
^

Sorry I can't help you but if you find the answer to your question I would love to know.

Nicholas Subryan
- Bridgetown
^

You can colour it black. Here is recipe!

20 gm tannic acid
15 gm phosphoric acid
1 lit. H2O

Spray or paint on thoroughly degreased object! Lacquer it if you want !

^

2007

You can paint Cast iron in any color you like.
It is best to paint it with a paint called "Hammerite [affil. link to info/product on Amazon]"
since it can be used directly on rusted surface. You only need to brush the loose iron off.

You can also use two colors of lacquer to get an antique look on the surface.

First apply the darker color on all the surface and then spray the lighter color onto a cloth and apply the color with gentle strokes (not to much)

Try using black and gold or Black and Bronze.

Thorsteinn Jonsson
- Keflavik, Iceland
^