-----

"Sheet metal counter top"

I have made a counter top out of galvanized sheet metal, the type typically used for duct work. Since, I have been told that if lemonade or orange juice is spilt on it it might etch or dis-color the metal? (We use this in a marine environment) Is there any type of wax or coating that I can use to prevent this, and or help to keep it looking nice?

Dwayne H [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Pottsboro, Texas
^

2006

I too want to do a metal counter top, but was told it is too dangerous to use around food. Any input?

Elaine Kooser
- Hollywood, Florida
^

2006

There are metal materials that would be safe, but I don't feel that galvanized zinc is one of them because galvanized sheet metal is sometimes chromated, and chromate is not a safe food surface. In general when you apply any material to a function for which it was not intended you have no history of safe use to fall back upon.

^