-----

"Electropolishing Inquiry"

RESPECTED SIR/MADAM,

At present we are in the R&D phase of a round plate made of material SS-316L of thk.= 0.35mm . Holes of 4.3mm diameter are cut in the plate. I wish to carry on electropolishing on the plate maintaining the tolerance of the holes up to +0.003mm and -0.000mm . Can you please guide me in what way to proceed with the process, i.e. what chemicals to use, how much ampere electricity to be passed at what voltage for what period of time and also the position of the plate and some other parameters to be taken care off, if any. I will be highly obliged if I get the following guidance from your side.

Thanking you, Awaiting for your positive response.

Yours Faithfully,

CHHAYA ENGINEER
- Surat, Gujarat, India
^

Well that truly is the question isn't it? It seems that information is usually closely guarded by the companies that make and sell electropolishing equipment and electrolytes. There is a lot of free information on the subject at metalfinishing.com, but it is limited in actual info regarding electrolytes and the various advantages and disadvantages of certain electrolytes, with particular metals.

Jeff Swayze
- Kelowna, B.C., Canada
^

Ed. note: The Metal Finishing Guidebook is no longer on line, but it is available with a subscription to Metal Finishing magazine or inexpensively from used book stores. Follow the link.