-----

"Alkaline anodising of Titanium"

Q. Sir,

We intend to do alkaline anodising for Ti-6Al-4V component to get minimum 5 micron thickness for wear protection wherein we could get only 0.2 micron by normal sulphuric acid anodising process. AMS specification suggests to use solution of pH 12-13. Kindly provide International Specification for ALKALINE ANODISING OF TITANIUM AND ITS ALLOYS. Kindly provide process details to get minimum thickness of 5 microns.

Thanking you,

S.Sreenivasan
- Bangalore, Karnataka, INDIA
^

A. Hi, Sreenivasan. AMS specs are copyrighted, so you'll have to buy them. There are FAQs here about where to get specs, but direct from AMS or through Techstreet [a finishing.com supporting advertiser] are two possibilities. I think you're referring to AMS 2488 [affil. link to spec at Techstreet]

Unfortunately, just because there is an AMS spec for something doesn't necessarily mean that the process is in the public domain. I am under the impression that the alkaline anodizing process for titanium is or was a patented process or a trade secret which you must license. Maybe I'm wrong or the patent has expired--hopefully someone here actually knows :-)

^

A. Ted you are correct this process is a trade secret. To my count there are only six companies nationwide who do this anodizing on medical components.

Jon Quirt
- Fridley, Minnesota
^

ti anodizing  russamer labs banner